Friday, March 10, 2006

Cineaste goes ape


Excerpts from the spring issue of Cineaste are now online (it's linked to the right). But you'll have to actually buy the magazine to read my 4,500-word gorilla of an article about KING KONG--the 2005 remake, the 1933 original on DVD, and lots of other monkey business* as well, including considerations of the 1976 version and KING KONG VS. GODZILLA (1962) and KING KONG ESCAPES (1967) as well. It took most of December and January for me to research, write, and edit the piece and I'm immensely proud of the result. Here's the lead paragraph:

"Peter Jackson’s KING KONG is the movie as megachurch, where the faithful can gather to pay homage to the great ape. I was ready to enter Jackson’s house of worship, as his take is very much a shrine to the 1933 KONG, the one I loved as a kid, the one whose luster remains undimmed despite sequels, remakes, and offshoots of variable quality—but found the pews emptier than expected."

My article aside, there's a lot worth reading in the new issue, including a career-length sitdown with Sidney Lumet (FIND ME GUILTY), and interviews with Michael Winterbottom (TRISTRAM SHANDY: A COCK AND BULL STORY) and the Dardennes brothers (L'ENFANT). And plenty of reviews and the proverbial much, much more.

*I promise that the actual article is (almost) entirely pun-free.

No comments: