Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Happy (belated) birthday


Released seventy-five years ago yesterday, and still going strong in the cinematic consciousness. I wish my Cineaste article from the Spring 2006 issue, taking in all the Kongs but of course giving pride-of-place to the first, was online to celebrate. The original, one-and-only King Kong affected my moviegoing life in so many ways, and remains a timeless, peerless achievement. Meeting Fay Way at Film Forum was a special thrill, and I always like taking friends to the top of the Empire State Building, which sells little commemorative dolls to honor the film that affixed the landmark in the cultural firmament. (It is the great monster movie and the great New York movie, all in one.) And Thanksgiving has never been the same since Channel 9 stopped running its Kong marathons, which I always looked forward to. It's good to be the King.

No comments: