Sunday, July 27, 2008

Ray at Not Ray's

In between errands I stopped for a slice at Not Ray's Pizza, on Fulton here in Brooklyn. (There are Rays, and Not Ray's, and I suppose Never Were Ray's all over New York, but explaining why is complicated, as we New Yorkers say.) Despite the name, on the wall there were framed publicity stills of famous Ray's. I assume Ray Charles was up there, but I didn't see him. I did, however, spot Ghostbusters tunesmith Ray Parker, Jr., movie tough guy Ray Danton, and Citizen Kane's Boss Gettys, Ray Collins. I admit I had trouble recalling Collins' name (few are identified, and I was stumped about the guy seated next to Susan Hayward in one still). I was most delighted to see Ray Harryhausen immortalized on Not Ray's wall. He's easy to find--if you don't know him by sight, he's the guy adjusting the Cyclops maquette he created for The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, 50 years ago. Ah, the things you see in your neighborhood.

No comments: