Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Final RIP 2008


Looking back on 2008, it was the year of obituaries. As I figured, death took no holiday in my absence, claiming four notables more fully memorialized elsewhere, but worthy of mention here: Eartha Kitt (I saw her on Broadway in The Wild Party in 2000), Harold Pinter (all late-in-life sins noted--the bad poetry, the knee-jerk anti-Americanism, the contemptuous Sleuth remake--but largely forgiven, and how fortunate we were to have seen Lindsay Duncan give a master class in Pinter playing in Ashes to Ashes Off Broadway), Ann Savage (so good to see one last time in My Winnipeg, 63 years after she burrowed under Tom Neal's skin in Detour, pictured) and Dale Wasserman--Man of La Mancha and the stage One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, yes, but also the co-author of an epic I adore, The Vikings, whose male stars, Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis, and Ernest Borgnine, are still with us 50 years later. Here's to fruitful longevity in 2009.

No comments: