Sunday, February 22, 2009

New York Theater News: Frost/Nixon


Just in time for the Big Event tonight. I don't think it's going to win anything--I suspect Mickey Rourke's somewhat exaggerated but irresistible "comeback" will deprive Frank Langella the chance to be the tenth actor to win both a Tony and an Oscar for the same part--but Frost/Nixon was better than I thought it was going to be, and it's too bad it's not doing much business. It's the sort of rock-solid, "grownup" entertainment that everyone says they want to see more of, then don't support--and a whole lot better than The Reader.

As for predictions, well, this is the first time in years I'm not filling out a ballot, and with the pressure off I hope to just sit back and enjoy the show--which will have to be mega-entertaining, to make up for the unexciting, crepe-hanging nominees. I've seen them all, and while the only one that pains me is The Reader, the rest are indicative of a blah 2008 at the cinema. Best to Hugh Jackman, a terrific Tonys host, and for the movies to get their mojo back this year once last year is commemorated.

No comments: